My kids really love these monthly themed Calendar Connections with fun science and history facts. We chose rocks and minerals for August.
Tori practiced her reading with this great rocks and minerals unit study from Currclick (link below)!
Tori loved seeing this huge crystal at Dorothy’s Glass Hut.
All my kids loved Mummelsee and the rocky Mermaid statue.
We loved the pattern on this eroding rock at Mummelsee.
Projects and Crafts:
- Have fun with this edible rock project.
- Make crystals.
- Rock doodles project
- Get crafty and make a pet rock! Be creative. Paint it, glue on googly eyes, and give it hair!
- Celebrate Collect Rocks Day on September 16!
- Go on a nature walk and collect pretty and intersting rocks to study. Look them up online or in a guide book. Discuss texture, color, class. My kids are obsessed with rocks and collect them wherever we go – cheap souvenirs! (Make sure it’s legal to take rocks wherever you are! Some places don’t like it.)
Notebooking and Printables:
- Geology pages from Homeschool Helper
- Rocks and Minerals pages from the Notebooking Fairy
- Metamorphic pages from the Notebooking Fairy
- Igneous pages from the Notebooking Fairy
- Sedimentary pages from the Notebooking Fairy
- Nature Study from Notebooking Pages (our favorite notebooking resource!)
- Handbook of Nature Study: Rocks – Articles, Printables, and Challenges
Unit Studies and Learning Links:
- Montessori Rocks and Minerals Works from Living Montessori Now
- Rocks and Minerals from The Homeschool Den
- Rocks from The Homeschool Journey
- FREE Rocks and Minerals Unit Study with a great study guide and Powerpoint presentation from Currclick (see pic above of Tori reading aloud from it!)
- Rocks and Minerals from Stacy Sews and Schools
- Lapbook and Unit Study from Simply Necessary
- Old Earth Geology FREE curriculum
- Mineralogy4Kids interactive website
Fun Field Trips Around the World:
See a list of Fee Mining and Digging Sites in the USA
Fun field trip ideas for rock hounds: museums, mines, archeological sites and digs, gold panning, canyons, gorges, waterfalls, rivers, creeks.
West and Southwest
- Northwest Geology Field Trips
- Some great field trips for Kansas
- Natural History Museum in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Glacier National Park in Montana
- Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming and Montana
- Gold Bug Park in Placerville, California
- Julian Mining in Julian, California
- Cavern Tours and Mining in the Sierra Nevadas
- Crater of Diamonds in Arkansas
- Volcanoes National Park for hiking and learning about volcanoes, lava, rocks
- Rock City in Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Morefield Mine in Virginia
- Sliding Rock near Asheville, North Carolina
- Hiddenite Gems in North Carolina
- Crisson Mining in Dahlonega, Georgia
- Consolidated Mining in Dahlonega, Georgia
- Diamond Del’s Gem Mining Adventure
- The Crystal Caves in Queensland, Australia
- Rubyvale in Queensland
- Mt. Surprise Gems in Queensland
- Carman’s Tunnel Goldmine in Maldon, Victoria
- Gemtree Caravan Park in Northern Territory
- Fischbach Copper Mine in Germany
- Salt Mines – Bavaria, Germany
- Hallein Salt Mine in Bad Dürrnberg, Austria
- Partnach Gorge in Bavaria – great opportunity to discuss erosion and collect river rocks!
- Grube Wenzel Visitor’s Mine in OberWolfach, Germany
- KristallWelt in Dietingen, Germany
- Mummelsee in the Black Forest, Germany: A kettle hole lake – shallow, sediment-filled body of water formed by retreating glaciers
- The German gemstone route – especially the Idar-Oberstein Steinkaulenberg gemstone mine – our family loved it!
- Geology Museum in Rome, Italy
- Mineralogy Museum in Rome, Italy
More fun resources on my Geology Pinterest board:
What are your favorite tools to study geology?
Linking up: Life of Faith, A Life in Balance, Burlap and Babies, Growing Hands on Kids, The Educators Spin on It, Living Montessori Now, Kiddy Charts, Simple Life of a Fire Wife, What Joy is Mine, Diamonds in the Rough, Rich Faith Rising, F Dean Hackett, ABC Creative Learning, Los Gringos Locos, True Aim Education, Milk and Cuddles, The Natural Homeschool, Adventures of Mel, Teaching Mama, Raising Homemakers, A Wise Woman Builds Her Home, Nanna’s Wisdom, Frog’s Lilypad, Wondermom Wannabe, Happy and Blessed Home, The Jenny Evolution, Hip Homeschooling Blog
Original article and pictures take http://www.royallittlelambs.com/rocks-and-minerals-resources/#_a5y_p=4290385 site